Monday, January 23, 2006

THE LAST STRETCH


Note: This was written by a good friend and because it is so well expressed, I decided to include it here among my writings. ddz

"Naturism has become a healing balm for my weary spirit."

THE LAST STRETCH
By Shirley Swift

THE BREEZE DANCED across the lake creating sparkling diamonds on the water. It was a sight I'd experienced many times before. However, when the breeze reached me this time, it gently brought me into an awareness that I was part of the scene that lay before me--I was one with the Earth and the Water and the Air. Finally, there were no barriers, real or contrived. I sat there feeling connected with something greater than me--with myself feeling complete with nature; and amazed that I had waited until I was 48 years old to shed my clothes at the edge of a lake.

A new acquaintance by the name of Dan Ziegler, who is an avid naturist kept telling me about Turtle Lake Resort, the clothing-optional park he visited every week end. Of course, the first thought that came to mind was that there was no way I was going to visit a nudist colony, and I wasn't sure I would continue the acquaintance either. He and I were both on a path of spiritual growth, but I didn't need to get naked to find myself. Over several months he became my friend and I learned he wasn't anything like the stereotypical sex-crazed person I had in mind when nudism is the topic.

It took a while to actually have enough courage to experience social nudity. When the time was right, I entered the park and received an orientation and a tour. At first, every joke and cartoon I had ever seen or heard about nudists crossed my mind. It took me a while to get used to feeling sweat trickle down my body instead of being trapped and soaked up by my clothes, and I hated the way my legs rubbed together. However, I found security in the towel I carried to sit on, but eventually I didn't have to hide behind it any longer.

I learned being a naturist is nothing about exhibitionism. I found entire families experiencing oneness with nature -- swimming, boating, playing on the beach, playing volleyball, biking, hiking, camping - you name it. There is a generous usage of sunscreen, especially with youngsters, but other than that, being nude gave them no restrictions in activities.

Self-acceptance is a high priority issue when striving toward spiritual growth, and visiting the park was last stretch needed toward arriving at a comfort level where I could rest for a while before continuing the climb. Naturism has become a healing balm for my weary spirit. Now, looking back at my reluctance, I see many things in an expanded light. A Bible passage says, "…you shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free." The applied truth involved in accepting oneself does set one free to grow and learn. It is a kind of freedom that has to be embraced. I can't imagine life without spending my weekends "naked before God" surrounded by nature's beauty. * * *

To receive a free e-copy (PDF file) of my book NAKED BEFORE GOD: A Look At Healing, Self-discovery and Spiritual Growth Through Social Nudism, go to http://less-onsfortruth.com/ or email me ddziegler44@yahoo.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well this covers exactly what I see when folks tell me they CAN'T possibly go naked. The experience related tells well the other side of the doorway and the experience there, which one must have to know.Try it and see. Try it and just be. Spiritcave